Friday 21 March 2014

Permanent Portfolio Mar 2014 Update

Next month, it'll be the time again to re-balance my own implementation of Permanent Portfolio. I wanted to create a chart showing the performance of my own strategy. However, using Net Asset Value (NAV) of the portfolio can't work as it will keep increasing whenever I increase my investment amount during re-balancing.

After much thought, I feel the best way is to present it in the form of percentage gain/loss over time. The drawback is that additional investment will cause the percentage gain/loss to decrease, as the same absolute gain/loss amount is divided by a larger portfolio value. However, I couldn't think of a better alternative.

Anyway below is the chart updated till 14th March 2014:

I started this strategy around June 2012 and re-balance the portfolio amount every month until Oct 2012, when I decided to just balance once every 6 months, i.e. April and and October every year.

It is close to 2 years now and as shown by the red line above, it is kind of boring. I suppose the strategy will only start to outperform when it goes through a full financial cycle, i.e. stocks drop and gold/bonds rises (hopefully) in value. I'm patiently waiting...

2 comments:

  1. Hi, do you have an update on mutual fund performances in singapore? I saw your post but dated on 2013.. tnx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The comparison was made about 6 months back. Any particular reason you need the latest data? Because don't think 6 months would make much of a difference.

      Delete